Monday, July 29, 2024

Day 1 - Travel - Bah!

 Everything was going great.  I arrived at O'Hare at 6:35 am as planned, was assisted (mightily) by United Airlines staff and received my first ride on an airport wheelchair.  Of course, the gate for my flight was at the absolute end of Terminal 1 which made me even more grateful for Bill's (my travel agent) suggestion that I acknowledge my limitations and make use of this airline service.

The flight to Denver was on time and unremarkable, until we reached Denver Airport and had to wait 50 minutes for a gate in which to disembark.  As I watched the time tick away, I began to wonder if I would have enough time to make it to my next gate and the final leg to Santa Fe.  Luckily, there was a wheelchair waiting and a vigorous youngish man to hurry me from the very end of the A concourse the the very end of the B concourse.  We arrived just as their were getting ready to close the doors and I collapsed into my seat as the engines were starting.  I couldn't imagine that my luggage had made the transfer, and I was correct.  

Upon arrival in Santa Fe, no baggage!  After an hour of filling out forms and making a claim, I called for an Uber to take me to The Druray Plaza Hotel and checked in with what little carry-on I had with me.  No clothes, no toiletries, etc.  Luckily, I had all the program materials, my phone, my compute, my meds, and two pairs of shoes.  Hopes are high that my luggage will show up sometime tomorrow.  We shall see!cct

No pictures today, as my camera is among the missing items.  Perhaps I will have another opportunity to capture the stunning New Mexico landscape in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment