Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Last Look

The journey home began with a departure from the Fairmont at 6:30 am.  Eight of us had the same flight on Turkish Air to Istanbul, and then our separate ways thence.  Departure meant another pass through customs and much security, and our flight was an hour late in taking off, which caused not a little concern as the time allotted for transfers in Istanbul was not generous.  I'm sorry to say that this experience in Istanbul international was not a great deal different from my first experience there six years ago, chaotic congestion a transfer points, and, now, extra security checks.  As with the last time, an agent had to come out and "fast-track" those of us who were catching the flight to Chicago, despite the fact that it had already been delayed by more than an hour.  The flight home was very much like the flight there, except that there was no turbulence, it was two hours longer, and I returned to my usual practice of not being able to sleep.  I watched a total of five movies, ate two pretty good meals, and arrived in Chicago, miraculously, on time!  Add an hour and a half for customs, baggage claim, and an extra security check, which I am assuming was a consequence of my coming from Egypt, and I was home by 9:00 pm, and in bed in record time, thereafter.  Adding it all together, from the time I got up in the morning in Cairo, until I hit the bed in Chicago is was 26 hours.  The return to CST has not been easy, but I am confident that eventually all of me will finally be back at home.

I've scanned a few "internal" photos from the Valley of the Kings, and Abu Simbel.  They are offered here as a sample of some of the artistic and engineering marvels recently encountered.
Rather typical relief from tombs in the Valley of the Kings
Celestial boat to the afterlife from tomb of Ramses IX

Burial Chamber of Tutankhamen

Wall art - Tutankhamen making offering to Amun-Ra (?)

Ramses II accepts tribute from conquered people - Abu Simbel



Sunlight penetrates the dark at Abu Simbel

But Ptah, God of the underworld, remains in the dark

In the aftermath of a trip like this one, there are always regrets.  I regret that the time that was allotted for the fabulous museums was so short.  It left me with a feeling that my emergence into Egyptian culture and history was superficial at best.  I wish I had known about other tours of longer duration and less intensity.  I wish I had added a stop in Alexandria to the package, and I wish I were better at managing the settings on my point and shout camera.  But, in the final summation, I was a fine trip, and who can argue with being in Luxor with 70 degree temperatures, while the folks at home are enduring a sub-zero deep freeze!  I call that great planning!
-End-

No comments:

Post a Comment