Monday, June 25, 2018

TGAGAi n Banff - Day 2 - After the Deluge!

"Have your bags outside your door by 6:30," didn't sound much like vacation talk to me.  Nevertheless, I managed to comply with minimal effort since I awoke at 4:00 am, still tired from the trip, but no longer able to sleep.  Breakfast buffet in the dining room was what might be expected at a Best Western Hotel, and despite a delay actually getting the bags to the bus, we were well underway by 8:30, only half an hour late.  Withing 15 minutes, we were seeing the foothills of the Rockies and with a little effort and imagination could barely discern the silhouette of the approaching mountains.

Then came the deluge!  Making out way up the ever steeper and curvier road, the ominous skies opened up and dumped torrents of rain on our distraught company of Bears.  Our first stop was to be Johnston Canyon and its renown waterfalls.  The very idea of stepping outside in such weather seemed impossible, let along navigating narrow mountain trails in search of natural wonders.  A quizzical silence replaced mindless chatter, and we all watched as the view became more and more obscured by the rain and fog.


Gloom and doom were, in this case, premature.  By the time we actually reached Johnston Canyon, the rain had just stopped, the sky was lightening, and new adventures awaited.  When I saw the trail, my anxiety level immediately rose.  The trail to the falls was over half a mile long and looked to be a fairly steep incline.  The trail to the upper falls was a mile and a half!  I decided instantaneously that I had nothing to prove, and the lighter challenge would adequately meet my curiosity quotient.  The trail, though wet and puddle-filled was do-able and the rewards commensurate with my enthusiasm.  I don't know what those more adventurous souls witnessed, but I left satisfied and returned to the departure area with enough time to go into the gift shop and purchase two numbered prints that I think will eventually find a home on my walls.  By the time we left for the final leg to Banff, the sun was making occasional forays into the half spent day.




Arrival at Banff and more particularly the Banff Center for Arts and Creativity, where we will be staying for the rest of the week, was an eye-opener.  Not because of the spectacular mountain scenery, which is certainly abundant and compelling, but because at lunch, the entire tours group was together at the same time.  One hundred and fifteen. Yikes.  Way too much society for me!  My social comfort level is definitely going to feel the strain!  The fourth group are wolves, not moose, BTW.


The afternoon was spent in "orientation" and lectures of a rather esoteric nature.  The first on the history and glories of the Elderhostle/Road Scholar organization, the second on the entire history of the Banff Center for Arts, etc. and its current programs.  The next by cute geologist on the formation of mountain ranges, and particularly the Canadian Rockies.  It contained so much geological jargon that I ended up wondering what I had spent a hour hearing.  Then there was a get-acquainted tour of the Banff Center campus, and finally we got our room assignments, just in time to high-tail it back to the dinning room for dinner, followed by another lecture on Rocks, Ridges and Rivers, by another expert whom, I'm positive, has no self-esteem issues.  He was actually hawking his new book.  Maybe he sold some.  He only managed to put me to sleep, but maybe the accent to the falls had something to do with that, too.

I am here, now, and grateful to be done packing and repacking for a few days.  I still have grave concerns about my ability to keep the pace with this trip, but I see some others who look as decrepit  as I.  Maybe we can find a place in the sun and swap lies while the others exhaust themselves proving how fit they are at their age.


No comments:

Post a Comment