Monday, June 25, 2018

The Great American Get-together in Banff - Day 1

The original idea was to spend a little bit of time in the Canadian Rockies during the hot season in Chicago.  A brief respite from the normal summer in the city discomfort.  As it has happened, We've had practically no hot weather and the humidity has come in the form of cold, uncomfortable rain, fog and wind.  Nevertheless, Banff is supposed to be spectacularly beautiful and inspiring at any time, so I am looking forward to another adventure with my favorite touring company, Road Scholar, with whom I saw China and Southeast Asia.

This trip has not gotten off to a great start!  A kind friend got me to O'hare in plenty of time this morning and dropped me at the designated terminal.  Upon entering to check-in, I was told that this check-in station could not check baggage, but handled only passengers with carry-on.  To check baggage, I was directed to a different terminal, not to far away, by O'hare standards, but far enough!  Of course, there were no clerks, since everything is now self check-in, so, as usual, I struggled with the technology which I'm sure some expert has declared "intuitive" (I do not posses that intuition!), and with a little help from other friendly passengers, finally got my reservation confirmed and boarding pass issued, checked bag weighed, paid for and tagged, and dropped a the counter.  Then, I was directed back to the first terminal for loading and departure.  The gate was at the absolute end of the terminal, and the waiting room had no more than twenty chairs!  A two hour wait!

Once boarded, the flight was uneventful.  Our take-off was delayed by traffic ahead, but I assume that was already figured in the flight time, since our arrival in Calgary was very close to on time.  During the flight, we were treated to half a  soft drink and a small bag of pretzels.  Once again, United Airlines has demonstrated to me its absolute indifference to the comfort and convenience of its passengers.  Oh how I wish there were more and better alternatives.  I'd never darken their door, again!

I thought once we landed in Calgary, we'd get our first glimpse of the Rockies, but, not so.  The typography of Calgary is basically Great Plains, lush and green this time of year, but very flat.  Canadian customs was a breeze, but then the trouble started.  Our instructions were to call the Best Western Plus Hotel when ready to be picked up.  We were told that a shuttle had just left, and the next one would be there at 2:30 pm, another hour and a half wait, this time, also without chairs and outside.  Luckily it was a beautiful day, warm, not hot, and bright sunshine.  At 2:30, no shuttle.  3:00, no shuttle.  By this time the waiting group had grown to about 25 travelers, all tired and hungry and just a little impatient.  Finally, the shuttle showed up but it was clearly too small and was already full from a previous stop.  After a certain period of concern and consternation, the Indian driver told us that we would be transported the eleven minute distance to the hotel by taxis, which were, even at that moment, on the way, and he left.

Sure enough, taxis began to arrive, but none of the drivers knew where to take us.  So, each two or three of the party had to dig out the actual address of the hotel.  The trip was during rush hour, and there was an accident, and so, the trip went from being eleven minutes to half an hour, plus.  Of course, the hotel was not prepared to check-in 25 guests at one time, so there was another long wait-time with no chairs, no refreshments and only the most tepid of welcomes.

Eventually and inevitably, we got checked into our rooms, standard Best Western decor, and had about one hour to unpack and "freshen-up" before dinner was served in the dining room.  It was O.K.  We were divided up into four smaller groups for the tour.  I'm a bear.  There are also cougars, elk and moose, I think.  We had to eat with our group and then go to an orientation that lasted over an hour.  All in all, it was enough for one day.  I'm hopeful that now that we're all present and accounted for, the rest of the trip will be flawless, such as I've come to expect from Road Scholar.  Keeping my fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment