Friday, September 6, 2019

Arrival!

The flight from Chicago to Albuquerque was truly uneventful, delayed take-off (O'hare!!) but a smooth and comfortable three hour flight.  American Airlines provided me with a small bag of unsalted pretzels and a entire can of Coke, not the usual plastic cup fulled with ice.  Upon arrival, I called for the hotel shuttle as the tour directions instructed, and then waited for a hour in the New Mexico heat for the driver to show up.  Checking into the hotel was no problem and the room is satisfactory.  I had to join Hilton Honors to get free WiFi.  Since there is no cost, I can afford it.

The first event of the tour is orientation which we just finished.  It really amounts to no more than an introduction of the tour director and the archaeologist and, of course, each of the participants.  There are 24 signed up, although this evening three were still MIAIt is far too early to put forward any opinions about the group.  I couldn't help but notice that there are only six men, and a bunch of very masculine-looking women.  We'll see how this plays out!  Tomorrow we begin the tour in earnest with a visit to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center and Petroglyph National Monument which are more of less local.  More about that later.

I learned something worth remembering, today, though.  I decided to make the trip to O'hare on public transportation even though, when I left Malibu East I still hadn't decide how I would do it.  I took the first bus that came, and it decided my route: Sheridan bus to Foster bus to Jefferson Park Blue Line to O'hare.  The whole trip took about one and a half hours, probably twice as long as taxi or Uber.  On the positive side, it cost a total of $1.35 instead of $45 or $60, and since my time is not that valuable, it seems like a pretty good trade off.  The depression mentality so deeply implanted in my infant brain is alive and well!  O yah, and American Airlines has raised the price of checking a bag to $30.  Outrageous!

Tomorrow, more worth reading and some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment